Tsegi - sacred journey

Tsegi - sacred journey

Saturday, August 7, 2010

we are amazing


This morning, I was watching one of those blog webcasts on the net by a well-known and respected photographer, and was struck by one of the things he said.  Basically, he said, and I agree with the statement, that people in general have become way more judgemental of others and more disparaging in their comments about their fellow humankind.  Now, you may not agree with that perception, but I think it is more prevalent in these times because of the economy, the unrest and injustice that is so prevalent, and the rampant unwillingness to accept responsibility for one's own actions.  People seem to be so quick to point the finger and say "they're" the problem...."they" started it... "they" should stop doing this or doing that.

And that reminded me of a photo shoot I was on this April where I noticed the grafitti in atleast two parts of town, reminding us that "I", "me", "you"  are amazing.  In this run-down part of town, these little message of hope were there for all to see and absorb.  We are all amazing and capable of amazing things if we accept who we are and what we want to accomplish on this earth.  Instead of pointing fingers and blaming others for a situation that is probably of our own making...let's start doing something about "it".

On another note, if someone could help me out with this, I'd appreciate it.  The following image was elsewhere in town on an old run-down building.  I couldn't figure out if the building was a funeral home, a church meeting place, a memorial.  I can't find a solid definition of the word "velacion".  It seems to be some kind of celebration, but of what, I don't know.  The image just struck me as a piece of historical culture that apparently no longer has a place in today's society.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

velacion is Spanish for a Roman Catholic "wake"...where one can keep vigil with the body throughout the night, saying rosaries and lighting candles. So likely this was a funeral home.